Thursday, July 17, 2008

Welcome!

A new family just moved into our ward a few weeks ago. Dave is starting his intern year as an ENT (Ear Nose and Throat) Resident at PCOM. Anika is a fourth year medical student, finishing up her rotations at the hospitals here in Philly. And when they moved here she was pregnant. Rather pregnant (although she totally didn't look it)-- about 9 months pregnant.

We threw a shower for her Saturday morning, even though she had been having contractions. She came to the shower anyway and by the time they were headed to the hospital, her contractions had stopped, so she went home and took a nap. Sunday morning, however, they were not at church. She went into the hospital at 9:30 Sunday morning and less than two hours later, Charles Kendall was born, all 5 pounds, 14 ounces of him! He's super adorable, even if I do feel like I am going to break him! (Caleb was probably only ever that small when I was 7 months preggers).




Since Dave was on-call at the hospital the first night they were to be home with the baby, Anika came to stay with us for the evening. I forgot how much work newborns are! It made me appreciate how good I have it with Caleb-- he is at the perfect stage where he can't yet move around on his own, but he can entertain himself. Anika did a great job with little Charlie and I am impressed how quickly the whole motherhood thing comes along. Even though they are a lot of work, babies are such a blessing.

So congrats Dave, Anika and little Charlie! We're so excited to have you here!

3 comments:

brohammas said...

Welcome little one.
Ya'll are good people for playing host in a time of need.

OK thats as much niceness as I can handle, now I'm going back to being snide and fooling myself that I may one day be witty.

brohammas said...

Hey,
I was wondering if you could throw me a baby shower.
I have appeared about 7 months pregnant for the past five years and I think festivities at your home may be my only hope in finally delivering.

Amanda K said...

My services will soon be available for hire. I'm working out the legal ramifications of the whole not being a doctor but putting people into labor thing... once that gets worked out, I'll let you know.