Thursday, May 6, 2010

Blog Etiquette

When someone comments in the form of a question on a post, do you:
A. comment on your own blog in response?
B. Email them?
C. Call them and answer their question?
D. Write another post to answer the question?
E. Or just ignore it and hope they'll forget they asked, like I do?

(I feel silly answering a comment on my own blog-- do people go back and check a comment they left to see if someone has responded to it?)

I need to know these things. My grandmothers taught me how to do things like set the table, send thank you cards, and tie perfectly proportionate bows. I will be teaching my grandchildren about the proper way to respond to blogs-- of course, at that point, they'll probably have patented mind reading and we'll never have to contact anyone again.

Weird.

Just wondering. You can answer in the comment section. I may or may not respond.

3 comments:

Fike's Lives said...

There is an option to have follow up comments sent to your email, when you leave a comment. So if someone is asking you a question, especially if it actually relates to the blog and you aren't opposed to anwering, I would say just leave another comment in response. Otherwise, email, FB, or whatever the response directly to the person.

brohammas said...

You answer it in the form of an additional comment.
If it is personal; an email. If the answer is too in depth for a coment it can garner a new post if fitting with the theme of your blog. If it is a question from me, the proper response is to simply send me money.

J. Aaron Farr said...

You answer comments with comments, leaving the conversation intact on the blog. Most commenting systems these days allow for followups to also be emailed. If it warrants a full blog post response, write the blog, then add a comment to inform readers the answer is in a new post.