Thursday, July 1, 2010

Autonomy

Apparently, as long as it is Caleb's idea, going to bed is simple, easy, and painless.

If it is mom's idea it is long, filled with tears and usually ends up with mom sleeping in Caleb's bed (which, believe me, does not feel great in the morning).

The past week has been awful at bedtime. Caleb would cry for h-o-u-r-s. Peter or I would end up in bed with him. It was not a pretty picture. A few nights ago, Peter just looked at him and said, "Alright, I'm done reading books to you now. If you want to stay up and read some books go ahead, but I'm leaving now."

His response? "Oh, ok Daddy." Ten minutes later, he was sound asleep.

It's worked for three days in a row. I think that counts as an official break-through.

And so a lifetime of deciding things for himself truly begins. (And a lifetime of me stepping back and letting him make such decisions.)

Choose wisely, little one, choose wisely.

1 comment:

Martha said...

Wow! It's amazing how everything changes when it becomes their choice. It must be hard to step back and let them make their own decisions, especially if they're not the wisest of decision. I'm so glad this worked for Caleb. It's SO hard when your child cries and won't be consoled.