Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Martha

I have a friend here in Philly-- well, she's kinda here in Philly, more on that later-- who is an absolute gem. Martha has been flying back and forth to Utah each week so that she could finish her masters program at The University of Utah. Her husband James, is in Pete's class-- so with his class schedule, her class schedule AND her flying, they don't get much time.

Add all this to the fact that Martha is currently recovering from heart surgery. Nothing too serious, she had atrial fibrillation (an abnormal heart rhythm) and had surgery on Monday to have it fixed. So needless to say, she has had quite the year. And on top of it all-- she's so darn nice! I would be miserable if I had to fly twice a week across the country, but she does it with so much grace.

She FINALLY graduated this past week, so she will fly back from Utah (her doctors were all in Utah so that's where she had the surgery) next Tuesday to really start living here.

I just wanted to take a moment to say how proud I am of her for finishing her degree and putting up with the inconvenience so that she could follow a dream of hers. She makes me want to work harder as I pursue my own dreams.

We wish you the best Martha as you start to heal. Enjoy those pain meds! :)

1 comment:

Martha said...

Oh Amanda, you made me cry! ;) Thank-you for your kind thoughts. I was having a hummer of a day and you brought me the sunshine I needed. I'm so blessed to have a friend like you. I can't wait to actually spend time with you and Caleb - we'll definitely have to plan a shopping trip when this is all said and done. Thank a million for your friendship, love, and support this past year (not to mention the meals, cleaning, and laughter!) You're the best!! Love ya!