Saturday, May 3, 2008

Droks Rock

Emerson is quoted as saying, "A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud." I just wanted to take a minute to say how wonderful good friends are. One of my friends from high school, Katrina, has made a great effort to stay in touch with me as our lives take us in different directions. And even when it has been months since we talked, I always feel completely at home with her. Which is interesting, because Katrina and I are complete opposites. She is stylish and always put together-- I'm usually wearing sweat pants. She's starting chiropractic school in the fall-- I'm taking care of my newborn. But I can always laugh with her-- from the time she came up to me in ninth grade and said, "Hey, we should be friends" to internet conversations where inside jokes are created ("droks" is a long standing inside joke) to this very afternoon, some seven years after we met, walking around the mall. As we spent today shopping and catching up, I thought about how wonderful it is to have someone like Katrina-- someone with whom I can be completely at ease, as Emerson also said, "It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."

I've laughed with Katrina, I've cried with her. I've been mad at her and she's been mad at me, but ultimately in the end, we are still able to walk around the mall talking, just like we did when we were freshmen in high school. And as life takes us in even more different directions, I know that I'll always have a friend in her.

No comments: