Friday, October 15, 2010

Good Friends

Caleb has been making great progress with the potty training. However, he's had a little problem with number 2. Of course. Cause it can't be that easy, right?

So today I hit my wall. I was just NOT going to clean poop out of his pants again. Not gonna happen. What do I do? (mother of the year award coming...) I, in complete exasperation tell him that if he poops on the potty, Thomas the Tank Engine would call him to congratulate him.

What did he do?

RAN up the stairs, sat on the potty and did his thing.

Horrified that I now had to find someone to be Thomas, I texted a friend. "I need you call and pretend to be Thomas. I promised Caleb Thomas would call if he went #2 and he's called my bluff.'

Not 3 minutes later, this self respecting man called my phone asking to speak to Caleb. In awe, Caleb took the phone and told "Thomas" of his accomplishments. All in all, the conversation lasted about 30 seconds. Caleb has been talking about it all night. "Thomas is so proud of me Mommy!"

I just had to mention how much I genuinely appreciate having good friends. Friends who will call your child and pretend to be Thomas. Friends who will do so without even blinking. With Peter being gone, by the time 6:00 rolls around, I'm pretty much done for the day, despite the fact that I have another five hours to go before the nurse shows up for Charlotte. I'm tired, I'm worn out, and throw pity parties for myself regularly. (You're all invited. It's bring your own pop corn though. I'm not sharing.)

Tonight, I realized that no matter what the circumstance-- no matter how ridiculous, I have great friends to back me up. Of course, over the past year, I've realized how important great friends are during a time of crisis.

It takes nights like tonight to realize how important great friends are during a time of normalcy.

1 comment:

Van and Lori said...

great friends are wonderful. glad you have them near! i love the story