Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Awesome Life

I have to say publicly (can I say something publicly on a private blog?) how much I appreciate my life right now. There are days when I can't seem to focus on anything but the yuckiness of this whole ordeal, but it helps a lot to see how much I really do have.

People I Couldn't Live Without:

1. Peter. Poor guy. He's done so much these past few months to keep our house and family running. Even though, I haven't been the best at showing my appreciation, he's put up with me rather graciously. Somehow the man has handled suddenly being thrown into a situation where he cleans, does all the laundry, watches after our toddler, responds to my every demand, drugs me every 8 hours, makes his own food, and oh yeah, manages being in Medical School. All while I lay helplessly on the couch demanding more things :)

2. My mother-in-law, Patti. Not only has she fed my family the past few weeks (read months), she's been so incredible with Caleb. He anxiously awaits her everyday to return home from work, and despite the fact that she's been working all day and probably only wants to sit down, she lovingly spends her evenings with him. Peter and I were talking about how hard it is going to be for Caleb when we leave here, but I think it might be just as hard for me!

3. My mom. She's always a phone call away and she is so supportive. And she keeps everyone else up to date on how I'm doing so I don't have to :) Pretty much, she just rocks.

4. Friends. I have such great friends. They keep my spirits up when I see them, and they offer to help so much. Hooray for support.


Things I Couldn't Live Without:

1. Elmo, Thomas the Train, and Super Why. How pathetic is that? Yeah, these TV shows have babysat Caleb for, uh, too long.

2. Modern Medicine. Goes without saying. I heart modern medicine. I feel so much better when I take my medicine precisely on time. The few times I have missed doses, or skipped the IV bag at night, I'm a complete mess. (Ok, let's be honest, I'm ALWAYS a mess, but I'm more of a mess when I don't take drugs).

3. The Internet. On those days when I don't shower, change out of my pajamas, brush my teeth, or THINK about leaving the house, I appreciate the connection to the outside world. These days are becoming more and more infrequent, but they exist.

There's so much more, and so many more people who have been unbelievably supportive through this pregnancy. Even though it has been physically taxing, it helps me to see how many wonderful people I have in my life.

As an update, I'm 17 weeks and the sickness is subsiding, thanks to the medicine. The past week I have felt better than ever, emotionally and physically. The doctors want to keep me on the PICC line and medicine for now, so we'll re-evaluate it at my 20 week appointment. They want me to be back up to my pre-pregnancy weight by week 20, or they will consider adding TPN to my cocktail. TPN is a nutritional supplement that is given via the PICC line. We're trying to avoid this if at all possible, because it requires weekly blood draws and a lot more intervention. So all positive weight gaining thoughts you can send our way are greatly appreciated.

Anyone still reading must be really bored, or my mother. She cares about this stuff :)

6 comments:

Mandy said...

I am glad you are feeling better. hurray for zofran. It may be an overly expensive drug but it is a life saver!
ps-I think my mom and dad love having you guys around just as much.

Fike's Lives said...

Glad to hear things are smoothing out for you. Good to hear that the timing for moving in with the in-laws couldn't have been better. It is amazing how things end up.

Eric & Whitney Culbertson said...

I resent your last comment. I am neither bored nor your mother but I do care how you're doing. ;). I'm glad things are looking up. Miss ya.

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

We love you and will keep you in our prayers

Ellen said...

I hear ya about the leaving. I don't even want to think of what will happen to any of us when we go. Sometimes I jokingly tell Jason we will just have to find a job here. hahahah

The Watsons said...

I'm so sorry I didn't know you were so sick. I must come down there and see you one weekend. I'm going to make myself a date with you soon. If there is anything I can do for you please feel free to call. I can take Calab for a weekend if you need me too all you have to do is call me. I very do miss you and love you guys.