Sunday, January 3, 2010

Pregnancy Updates

I was relatively sick with Caleb during my pregnancy. I've had three different miscarriages, and I was sick with each of those. But I have NEVER been as sick as I am this time around. The Saturday after Christmas I woke up with a mild stomach ache, and just feeling a little "off." I continued throughout the day, figuring that I had just over extended myself the day before. By that evening, I was in some considerable pain, but isn't that what happens when you are pregnant?

By Sunday morning, I was running a fever and I could barely stand the pain. Peter convinced me that this probably wasn't going to just go away and we headed into the hospital. After several tests and many more hours, I was admitted to the hospital for pre-term labor and dehydration. They were easily able to stop the contractions and for the next three days I was on continuous IV fluids and medication to keep the nausea at bay. They sent me home with a PICC line and IV Zofran. I'm so glad to be home, even if I do have to give myself four syringes of medicine every six hours. The doctors at the hospital said that even ten years ago, I would have spent most of the rest of my pregnancy in the hospital. Yuck. Caleb is pretty irritated by all of this, he routinely shouts, "Mommy all done! Mommy all better! No! No! NO!" when I am taking the medicine.

Despite the inconvience of having to wake up in the middle of the night and plan my days around medicine doses, the medicine is working well. I had lost about 25 pounds by week 15, and in a week, I've been able to gain a good amount of that back.

All in all, we know how blessed we are to have access to doctors and medical help. We're grateful for the technology and research that has allowed me to come home, instead of sit in the hospital. I'm definitely not 100%, but I'm feeling like a person and that helps a lot. We are so thankful that we have family here to help us. I don't know what I would do without my mother-in-law, she's been a HUGE lifesaver.

We'll let you know how things go, hopefully I'll be off of this PICC line soon! Thanks for all the support we've been given. We can't do this alone.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Oh, man. It sounds like you've really had it rough. Glad you're feeling better and gaining weight. Everyone knows you had nothing to lose in the first place. Take good care of yourself!

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

O.K. I've got the jist now. Yuck I am so sorry you have to go through this. We miss you guys.

carrie