Saturday, April 3, 2010

I Believe

I'm not really the type of person who wears Religion on my sleeve. Well, kinda I do. Religion is a very large part of my life; it has shaped who I am, has influenced every aspect of my life. But I'm not the type of person who talks very openly about it. I should be better about it, but my religious beliefs have always been so special, so sacred to me, that I try very hard to give my Faith the respect and honor it deserves, and I worry that those I share it with might mock or disparage it. That fear of desecration of my Religion keeps me from sharing it with others all too often.

I think the name of Christ should be Honored, not plastered on my car as a bumper sticker. Some may follow this form of religious expression, and I respect their right to share their beliefs in whatever way they prefer, but it's just not they way I would choose to express my belief in Christ.

Make sense?

I share this just to help you understand that I don't take what follows lightly. It is meant as a genuine expression, not a trivial blogpost.

This Easter weekend, many have the chance to focus on what they believe and they spend the weekend in celebration. For the past month, our family has been very aware of the Hand of God in our lives. At times we acutely feel the absence of that Hand. At times, we feel the very Arms of God around us. But when we stop to think about what we celebrate, what the Easter season really means, we know without a doubt that our Savior atoned for us, and that His atonement encompassed much more than our sins, He felt our every pain and sorrow, our every moment of dispair.

Unfortunately, with our human nature, we don't always feel blessed, but we know we have been. Despite our human frailties, we rely on that which we know to help us get through that which we feel.

Here are two links that will help describe some of our beliefs. The first, Mormon.com is geared towards those who don't know anything about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or who might have questions about our church. The other, LDS.org, is geared towards members of the LDS church, and has links to all of our scriptures, church magazines and talks given by our church leadership.

Also, check out the YouTube Channel, Mormon Messages, to see short videos that discuss our beliefs.

These two passages of scripture have given me comfort throughout our experience.

From the New Testament,

2 Corinthians 4:8-9

We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; We are perplexed, but not in despair;
Persecuted but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;

And, from the Book of Mormon,

Alma 7:11-12
(Emphasis Added)

And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.