Monday, February 25, 2008

Times Like These

It's times like these when I understand why people live in the same town their entire lives. They stay close to all they know and love. Often, I wonder why people don't get out of their hometowns and see a part of the world. Even if it's only a few hours away, there is so much to gain from living in other places.

However, as I sit here tonight, I wish I could be in my hometown. A wonderful woman is sleeping in the hospital tonight and her husband is wondering if she will ever make it back home. Bonnie is the kind of woman who knows something about everything. She can knit pretty much anything and she can give a detailed description of different types of rocks. She can make her own yarn. She enters the Westmoreland Fair every year. She records the weather. She is happy talking to a 95 year old or a 5 year old, and treats them pretty much the same.

I love this woman. She's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. She and her husband never had children of their own, but she's as much a mother as any woman can be. Her husband, Jeff, has been my family's home teacher--the only home teacher I can ever remember. They have spent holidays with our family, I send them cards for Mothers' and Fathers' day. I love this woman.

And yet, she lays in a hospital and I am 275 miles away. I wish I could go and sit at her side, although doing so would be more for my sake than for her own. I want to spend every moment I can with her, in the hopes that I might become a little more like her. I don't know if I will see Bonnie again in this life-- I hope and pray that I might.

But if not, I know she will know of my love, respect and admiration for her. And I will just have to become more like her on my own.

1 comment:

Martha said...

My heart goes out to you! I hope Bonnie is doing alright and isn't in too much pain. James and I will pray for her and her husband. Take care and keep us posted!