Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pretty Cool

Ok... I'll admit it-- I'm an Obama supporter. It's true. I met him at the debate at Drexel University during the primaries in Oct 2007 and was pretty impressed. From there I watched his campaign and was rather pleased with his message. Call me hopeful, call me blind to reality-- I want Obama to succeed.

However, I am a little annoyed by the media coverage of our new President. His "approval" ratings were at record highs on the day of his inauguration. Approval ratings? He hasn't even spent a day as President yet!

But to be perfectly honest, I can't help myself from being swept up in the excitement of it all. I was a *gasp* Bush supporter, but the past few years have left me disappointed and disillusioned. I am hesitant to get too excited-- I worry that I am just going to be disappointed and let down again, but I find myself unable to remove my emotions from the moment. Maybe he is just a slick politician, but shoot, he's getting people to feel some hope, some desire to serve our country, some pride in America. If that's the case, we could use a few more slick politicians.

I was particularly impressed with Obama's transition. According to the Liberal Media, aka- the New York Times, "Over the last three months, Mr. Obama has quietly consulted Mr. McCain about many of the new administration’s potential nominees to top national security jobs and about other issues — in one case relaying back a contender’s answers to questions Mr. McCain had suggested." He didn't have to consult McCain on his nominees, but he took the time to find out who his former opponent recommended. It's refreshing to see a politician realize that maybe his opposition has some valid points and opinions. That maybe he doesn't have all the answers.

My favorite part of the Inauguration came when he said (or paraphrased), "We will extend our hand when you will unclench your fist." Many scoff at Obama's pretty words and skilled speeches, but I say-- maybe we should listen to his pretty words a little more, maybe we need to unclench our own fists a little more often to reach out to the extended hands in our lives.

4 comments:

brohammas said...

The bar for statesmanship has been lowered so far that when we swing back to someone who can speak and lead we are skeptical. Its sad.

The more things he does right, and his detractors stay convinced he is the devile, the more they expose how closed and irrational "they" are.

Amber said...

You're a fantastic writer. :) I want him to succeed as well. I would no matter who was in office. And I agree, his inauguration speech was very good.

Martha said...

It was great to listen to his speech and know that he does have much to offer... and I hope he succeeds at doing some great things. There's so many ways the next few years could go, but my prayer is that much good will come from him being President. My prayers are definitely with him!

Linze Kate said...

I'm glad you found my blog! I love finding links to friends - new and old... How have you been? I guess I could just read and find out, huh? :)
Love ya and good to be in contact again!
*muah*

P.S. I am definitely an Obama supporter as well! :)