Thursday, January 15, 2009

Yeah, I know... He's a toddler

I'm a really hard time accepting that Caleb is not an infant any longer.  Don't get me wrong-- I totally love playing with him at this stage- he can walk, he laughs, he enjoys playing with toys.  I love watching him figure things out and how he tries to imitate us-- it's great.

However, I still can't seem to accept that he can eat normal foods now.  I've become that crazy paranoid mother!  When did that happen? (Don't answer that)

It took me reading a sample menu for toddlers to think that maybe he could eat cheerios and milk for breakfast. He's been eating dry cheerios for almost 4 months now and he downs milk by the gallons, but put them together-- never thought of that!  I was going over his foods with his pediatrician (we're trying to see if we can avoid foods that might irritate the diaper rash) and she looked at me like I was crazy when I told her that I ground up Caleb's chicken.  "He doesn't have many teeth," I explained, hoping to vindicate myself.  "He can gum it.  Just chop it up into bite sized pieces."  She replied.  And then it dawned on me... cooked chicken does tend to fall apart in your mouth.... genius over here!

Gah! Does anyone else have this problem?  Or know of any good foods to feed an independent toddler?  

'Cause, yeah, I know... He's a toddler.  

6 comments:

Chris, Deb and the Ava Jayne said...

ava loves oranges. I peel them and section them. then I cut the slices into about 3 pieces.
also, cheese. or pickles. she REALLY digs granola bars, but he may need actual molars before you try that out.

Fike's Lives said...

I found this recipe book, "1 2 3 Cook for me", by Karin Knight that is meant completely for babies and toddlers. It gives you age appropriate foods and different things for them to eat. Some of the recipes the whole family can eat and some are just meant for him. It has been good for me. Plus, Mark loves Bananas and they are soft enough that Caleb shouldn't need to worry about needing teeth for.

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

When you have any hamburger put it in samll peices in a bowl and put some baby food like carrots or peas over it just to make it a little more moist. Plus it gets them their veggies while they think they are eating adult food. Pancakes, spaghetti, etc.

Paige said...

The Babycenter.com website has a reference I always use for different ages. I know what you mean though about being surprised... Unfortunately for us Niiko is allergic to milk so far :(
Hey keep on chopping up stuff- better safe than sorry!

brohammas said...

Sage only eats filet mignon and radishes. For dessert she eats dust bunnies.

Anonymous said...

I'm a lil' late. I never read blogs but had to say--YEA!!!
Happy Birthday, C-Bear!
ps How hapy are we that scrubs has ben renewed and switched to ABC?