Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How Far We've Come

My mom grew up in a two bedroom home without indoor plumbing. She always clarifies this by saying, "We had a pump in the kitchen, just not a bathroom. We got it by the time I was six." She was fifth of seven children. All seven siblings shared a room. Her grandparents lived with them for a long time, since they were unable to take care of themselves. Her father was a remarkable man who was known for his caring and concern for everyone he ever met. He dropped out of high school when he was 16 so that he could take care of his three sisters. Her mother (who is still kickin' it at 92) dropped out of school after 9th grade so that she could take care of her own parents who were aging.

Her parents encouraged education beyond belief. All of their children went to Catholic schools and worked to support themselves. Even though they did not have even a high school education, five of their seven children went to college.

This is the way my mother grew up. She is so incredibly proud of where she came from-- who her parents are and all that they did to give her a better life. Tears fill her eyes when she begins to talk about all that her father did, and that her mother continues to do, for all of their children.

Which brings us to today.

Today, I purchased an application for the iPhone. My brother owns the company that created it. My mother's indoor plumbing consisted of a pump in the kitchen and my brother is writing applications for smart phones. Shayla, my older sister, worked to put herself through undergrad and medical school. She's now a very successful doctor-- working as the first D.O. at the University of Pittsburgh Emergency Medical Residency Program. My other brother is currently enrolled in one of the top programs in the nation for his Masters in Accounting and my little sister is smarter than any of us.

To top it all off-- my mother is currently working towards her Masters in Nursing.

I just had to take a moment to be all sappy and say how much I appreciate who raised me. I also have to thank my lucky stars that we live here in the USA. This country is far from perfect, but it's the best place out there. A smart man once said, "America is the worst country in the world, except for all the rest of them." We don't do things perfectly and sometimes I get caught up in my disappointment of America, but I am grateful that I am reminded of it's greatness.

The best part is-- my family is not unique. We are not oh so special. We are Americans. And sometimes, I'm not particularly proud to say that. But on days like today, I am.

I am very proud.

PS... want to check out my brother's iPhone app? It's called "How Long 'Til" and is created by JadeTower.

2 comments:

Linze Kate said...

I love traveling and have LOVED living in a different country for a time, but there really is a lot of American Pride in me. It's not the pompous, "I am American so I better pride," but a pride to be from here, what we have and stand for, and to represent this country - recognizing its strengths and downfalls and appreciating & accepting both for what they are. I know exactly what you mean! Good post... :)
*muah*

P.S. I would def. be up for anything this summer and have thought about nannying all over... Do you know how I look into availability for that???

Natalie said...

I don't know if any of my grandparents even graduated from high school (maybe my mom's mom), but they encouraged and helped provide what little financial support they could for my parents to go to college, and what a difference it has made. It really is great to live in a country where you have so many choices and opportunities to succeed.