Monday, March 15, 2010

Words Peter Doesn't Need to Hear:

"You were right."

He'd been telling me all week to go in and see my doctor. "But it's just a stupid upper respiratory thing," I'd claim. Besides, I knew that they would just say that it was viral and I'd be over it in a few days. "But you're fever is not consistent with a URI," he'd claim (what a medical student).

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Finally after I'd started an antibiotic for the upper respiratory thing-y-ma-bob and my fever still wasn't going down at all, even though I'd stopped coughing, I was willing to concede that there might be SOMETHING else going on. But Peter still wasn't "right".

"I think you have an abscess," he'd say. "But remember Caleb's abscess? It was all red and puffy. My incision looks perfect," I'd counter.

This went on for 3 days.

Until Sunday morning when I woke up with a red and puffy abdomen.

So instead of a nice and simple office visit, I ended up in the ER for 7 hours. I had to drink contrast, get a CT scan, and let the doctor slice me back open to squeeze out some junky stuff. And I have to pump and dump. Stupid CT scan.

And I still have to go back into the office to have it checked again.

But I'll still never say it. He doesn't need to hear it. He already knows.

And that's dangerous enough.

5 comments:

Ann said...

Holy cow! Could this whole experience go any smoother for you? (Sarcastic font implied.)

Martha said...

Amanda!! Oh my! When did this happen? I'm so sorry. How are you feeling now that they cut you back open to clean you out? What a fun month this has been for you!

Stephan P. Knickerbocker said...

Ok, now I am beginning to understand why Peter is now/"going to be" a great med student/doctor. He studies and gets to practice at school and home! Geez now we have 2 parksburg Knickerbocker to keep in our prayers! Keep the faith guys, and Amanda start listining to the Dr. Knickerbocker in that partner of yours!

Mandy said...

umm...if it makes you feel any better I would have probably done the same thing and I am a nurse. We take care of other people and lots of times neglect ourselves. Ask your mom I am sure she would say the same thing.

Lori said...

oh for the love! i'm sorry. you have enough on your plate right now. i'm glad you got the infection out, but man, what a pain!