Thursday, August 5, 2010

Norfolk, VA

Pictures from 7/17/10


Caleb and Peter checking out the planes. Caleb was most impressed. Peter and I were just hot.

I'm sure there is a name and details about this plane. To me, it's just large.

I love Caleb's smile here. Too cute.

Double straw action at IHOP

Caleb and I made the trek down to Norfolk in the middle of July to see Peter while he was on rotation at the Naval Hospital there.

The morning we were supposed to leave, I woke up with a fever of 103.5 and thought I was dying. (OK, that's a bit dramatic, but, let's be honest, it's me we're talking about here...). I tried really hard to put on my big girl pants and pull myself together. What should have been a 5 hour drive ended up being close to 10 hours and Pete had to come rescue us at the end, about an hour outside of Norfolk. What a good husband!

Luckily, I felt better the next morning and we were able to tour the base and get a feel for the area. Caleb definitely approved of the Naval Shipyard. The first time he saw a ship he said (direct quote here), "That's a big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, boat."

All in all, we liked the area and wouldn't mind living there next year if that's where Peter matches for residency. Although, we did get reprimanded for being Yankees (a fact of which we are very proud, thank-you-very-much) and we were told the area was "ghetto" because there was a shooting there five years ago.

After living in Philly, I think our "ghetto" radar is a bit off, since the area looked very nice to us. Somehow, I think we could survive. Unless the person was shot because he was a Yankee.

Then we're in a lot of trouble.

1 comment:

Terra said...

We met a few years ago at Park Days in Philly. We have many mutual friends but anyway, we now live in Norfolk because my husband is in the Navy on a ship here as a dentist and we like the area. Our ghetto radar is way off too but it feels nice to us! Let me know if you have any questions.