Monday, August 30, 2010

The unseen costs of war

As I was walking around the naval base in San Diego today I began to notice something unusual, wheelchairs. At other hospitals wheelchairs carry very pregnant women and elderly people too sick to walk. Today I saw them whizzing around with 18-25 year old, Oakley sun glass wearing, my biceps are bigger than your legs occupants.
Each of these men were born with fully functioning legs that had carried them across end zone lines and finish lines in the not so distant past. They carried them into the recruiters office to swear an oath to defend our country. They carried them onto the plane bound for Iraq or Afghanistan.

Unfortunately a explosion or an accident while fighting a war has taken both of their legs above the knee before the age of 25. As they whizzed by today in their wheelchairs or limped by on prosthetics I could not help but hope that the cause has been worth it. Too often I count the costs of war in dollars or deaths, but not in the people who live with the permanent scars. Long after the last soldier leaves Iraq or Afganistan, after we have moved onto another President, another war, or another "breaking story" on CNN. These Sailors/Soldiers/Marines/Airmen will still sit in their wheelchairs or limp with their prosthetics. We owe it to them, to their sacrifice, to be judicious in when and where we fight.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hey Pete- thanks for this. There was an article in the NY Times today- "Obama Declares an End to Combat Mission in Iraq." I doubt that means the death/injured toll will disappear. I've been listening to an audio book called War by Sebastian Junger. It gives a pretty raw and realistic view of the combat experience in Afghanistan- nothing I ever want to personally experience. I hope you never have to face it in the Navy, either. Anyway, have fun in San Diego! Bring some of that great weather back to Philly with you!