Friday, September 5, 2008

McCain's Speech

I stayed up last night to watch McCain's acceptance speech because I was curious about who exactly this man is. So many times John McCain has been my favorite Republican. I was proud of him in 2004 when he stood up to his party when they wanted to use their majority to change the rules of debate in the Senate. I was also proud of him in 2006 when he stood up to Bush and said that torture was not an option for this country. I was excited when he took 5 days to consider the prospect of being John Kerry's running mate on the democratic ticket.

Last night I wanted to be sure that I was not overlooking McCain just because he has an R next to his name on TV. The only problem with his speech last night was the distance between the covers. I found myself checking "info" button to see what time it was. He definitely does not have the oratory skills of Obama, but he gives Bush a run for his money. I thought his speech one of the better messages I have heard, and it was very John McCain.

To me, the overall message is "I know times are hard and Washington has not worked. Republicans are mostly responsible for the last 8 years that have not been pretty. I am a good man, someone that you can trust, and I can change things even within my own party. Trust me, Please just trust me."

I turned off the TV soon after the speech and contemplated the choice in this election. I am very pleased that BOTH candidates are men of integrity and each has a tremendous personal story. One is a decorated war hero, who came to know himself in a dank cell in solitary confinement, who has spent his adult life trying to improve this country. The other is a son of an 18 year old single mother, raised by his grandparents, that has succeeded due to relentless determination and faith in the American Dream.

The choice came down to, "Who do I trust more to deliver on their promises, and make this country a better place?" I have made my choice, and I hope that this election comes down to this choice for every voter that walks into the booth. Let it not be about pregnant daughters or ex. Pastors or any other distraction. The good news is, that despite the large policy differences between the the 2 sides, both are good and respectable men.

Pete

No comments: