Monday, September 1, 2008

Why I Love Philly


Recently there have been a lot of people who have moved into our ward. This happens a lot at the beginning of the school year, and personally, I love it-- new friends! Who does not like meeting new people (except for Kay's sister)? Anyway, a lot of them have been rather shocked by Philly, and I can see why. It's a rather daunting place. Crazy drivers, crazy roads, no Super Walmarts... you can see what I mean.

However, hearing them complain about Philly has made me realize why I like living here. I mean, it's not Pittsburgh-- but I guess that's what I love about it. There's nothing else like it. And seeing as how I don't really have a choice of living here, I might as well love it! Hoping that Philadelphia is going to be like Pittsburgh just doesn't work-- because its not Pittsburgh and no matter how much I want it to be "da 'burgh", it just isn't.

I love how living here in Philadelphia challenges my opinions on everything. I love how I have learned to accept people much more unconditionally. I love the strength of the people I know from here. I love seeing how much I really do have compared to those who have so little. And I love to dream about having something more someday, when I see those with so much. Coming from a smaller rural area in western PA, I was rather sheltered. We didn't have diversity-- and I really love the infusion of people from everywhere that I find here in Philly. It makes me a better person to get to know these people and try to understand where they are coming from and what makes them the way they are.

After a year here in Philadelphia, I've come to learn that most people have a reason for everything they do. And just because I don't understand those reasons, doesn't mean they don't have them. I guess that's what I love about Philly. It's taught me to be a more loving person-- which sounds weird, because Philly is a rather harsh place to live. But I figure I can either let it make me a harder person, or a more understanding person.

I cannot choose where I want to live right now, but I can choose what I want to make of it. I choose to understand.

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Now I miss it. At least I can look forward to going back.

Katie M. said...

oh no.. I sure hope I wasn't one of the newbies complaining about Philly... If I was, forgive me now!

For the record... I really like it here.. Not in LOVE yet, but love grows, right?? I'm just so happy there are so many awesomes like you around to hang with.
Ciao!

brohammas said...

Whats the Burg got that Philly doesn't? Infatuation with artery blocking cuisine? Nope we got that too.

Seriously, boathouse row during a regatta is without comparison.

Nothing captures Philly like the steps to the art museum. One of the country's premier art museums enclosed in landmark architechture, with the imprint of the shoes of a fictional bum of a boxer at the top. The two world's, high brow and down trodden all in one place and both making this place what it is.

First Friday's in Old City, Ice Cream on the fourth at Penn's Landing, boxing gyms that are really trying to train kids to be fighters and not tai-bo (no offense to those just trying to get in shape), please touch museum, the country's most loss ever franchise (Phillies) that still fills the stadium, the ability to get to know people on your block because they all hang out on the stoop and talk to each other, the chance to actually play with a fire hydrant like the kids used to during the opening of Sesame Street, and especially the chance to actually interact with, and get to know, someone you would never normally sit with, eat with, or worship with.

Where else can you enjoy all these good things and still have the opportunity to be useful?

Long live Philthadelphia!

Amanda K said...

Umm c'mon, Pittsburgh has FIVE Superbowl rings. The Eagles have... oh yeah, none. :) That clearly is all the evidence we need. And the Pirates could probably give the Phillies a run for their losing money-- except for that stint in the '90's the Pirates have been delivering losing seasons like they are going out of style. However, if you are going to watch a losing baseball team, it might as well be in PNC Park.

As for boathouse row, there's nothing like it anywhere-- but the view from Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh has been designated as the prettiest urban view anywhere in the country.

I could go on and on... but it would defeat my previous post of how I like it here in Philly :)

And to everyone-- I totally understand why people might not like it here, so please don't feel like I'm complaining that people complain. It's just how I feel about this pretty city :)