Friday, September 12, 2008

Motivation

http://images.wwsport.com/new/product_images/TN65467B2.jpg
First, a disclaimer. I'm not posting this because I want you to feel badly for me, hate me, be annoyed by me, etc. I'm posting this because I really want someone's help. Mmmkay? Thanks.

I've never really struggled with weight. Poor me, right? Sure in college I collected the freshman 15, but even then, it wasn't enough to get me to pay attention to what I eat or to exercise more or, well, do anything.

I've never had to watch what I eat. Double stuf oreos? Sure. Wendy's? Definitely. Why would you NOT get cheese on something? 2% or skim milk, doesn't really matter It wasn't until about two years ago that I realized what I ate actually influenced how I felt.

I've also never really tried too hard to get into shape. I know, my life is hard. But it's actually a problem. I know that at any given time, I can go out and run. I may not be running at my best, but I can usually hang with it. I do pretty well once I get into a routine, but it's making the effort to get into the routine where I stumble. I was doing really well this summer, but then we went on vacation and I haven't really run since. So I went out this morning and ran the equivalent of a 5k. Granted, it was right along Kelley Drive and so there weren't any hills, but I ran it in 23 minutes. You would think this would be encouraging, but instead, it tells me that I don't have to run for a month and I can still run a 5k. I'm just lazy.

I know that I need to be exercising and eating well. I know that at some point, life will catch up with me and if I'm not in the habit of treating my body right, it's going to be a hard realization. I KNOW all of this, it's just not enough motivation for me to do something about it.

So after all this whining, here's my solution. I need someone to be accountable to. I am going make a goal-- a race that I'll want to be in shape enough to run in. If I do not run in the race I need to be financially responsible to someone. I figure money is the only thing that can motivate me enough.

Here's where I need your help. I need someone who will hold me to this. I'm setting a goal and if I don't make it, I'll pay you double the race entry fee. Leave a comment and tell me why you should be the one I pay should I fail!

6 comments:

Sara said...

Here's why you should pay me. You're a natural runner. I am not. Yet it's something I wish I could be. I want to love running...it's a great way to get in/stay in shape. Yet I hate everything about it except the idea of it. I'm not good at it. It makes my joints hurt. I'm slow. I think I look ridiculous when I run. Yet I still do it because I'm hoping that somehow, someday I'll turn into a real runner. Someone who can stop running for 2 months and then run a 5K with no problem. My roommate is a natural runner and is totally addicted to it. If she misses more than two days in a row, she's craving it. I don't think I'll ever get to that point, even though I want to.

I truly believe that being a natural runner is a talent (one that I covet, I admit it) and you shouldn't waste this talent! Trust me, everything is going to get a lot worse once you hit 30.

Good for you for setting this goal!

Fike's Lives said...

Hey if you motivate me, I'll motivate you.

Soren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I would just like to second Sara's comment. I am glad I am not the only one who likes the idea of running but not running at all.
Good Luck with your race Amanda.

Martha said...

Hey... to help you with your goal, I'm willing to work out with you in the mornings! Not running, but at a gym. I got a PCOM membership and go MWF from 6:30-7:15am. Let me know if you're "up" for it!! I'll even call you ever time I work out and we'll make each other go. Then... you can pay me for being a great friend you can work out with AND giving you a hard time if you don't show up!! :) See, doesn't that sound good?

Ellen said...

I hear you completely. I think running in high school warps your mind when it comes to eating habits later in life (I have the same problems). I would offer to be your person but I don't know how motivating I can be from here. Maybe when I get back you can let me pant in your wake.