Thursday, February 25, 2010

But Let's Be Honest

Even though we pretend to have lives outside of this pregnancy, it's pretty much taken over.

THE BACK STORY:
Monday I went in for a 17H Progesterone shot. Doctors aren't sure why, but progesterone has shown in studies to help prevent miscarriages in early pregnancy as well as premature labor in later pregnancy. In my case, the plan was to have a shot weekly until 34 weeks gestation. After the shot on Monday, I was pretty sick and devastatingly tired. But by Tuesday, I felt great. Better than I had since about week 5 of pregnancy.

Wednesday Caleb and I got up and made a cake for Peter's birthday/return. (It was WAY better than his 25 year birthday cake). I was feeling a little under the weather, but all in all, it was OK. Peter surprised us and came home several hours earlier than we expected, YAY! Peter's parents graciously watched Caleb for us so we could run out and have a dinner to celebrate him coming home and his birthday. Of course, being the good parents we are, we ate cake before we left for dinner (all the while telling Caleb he had to finish his dinner before he could have cake. Score one for us).

When we arrived at the restaurant, I went to get out of the car and felt a gush of fluid. I had had fluid leakage previously in this pregnancy, so I wasn't too concerned, but I put a call into my OB's office just to keep them up to date. I already had an appointment scheduled for Thursday, so I figured waiting a 15 hours to go into the office wouldn't be terrible. The on-call doctor agreed, as long as the fluid stopped and I didn't have any other significant gushes.

We enjoyed a delicious dinner (which we were too full to eat due to the massive amounts of cake we ate before dinner-- Fabulous if you ask me). When we left the restaurant, I continued to have some fluid leaking, but figured I could at least take Peter home so he could have some sleep and then go into the hospital if it continued, by myself. Poor Peter had been up since 4:00 AM and then he had driven 6 hours to get home that day-- needless to say, he was shot.

However, before we could even leave the parking lot, the situation elevated enough to the point where even I was certain we needed to go right into Labor and Delivery.

PHEW... ON TO THE MAIN POINT....
Upon arriving at L&D I was diagnosed with PPROM (Preterm Premature Rupture Of Membranes-- my water broke) and admitted to the L&D floor. I had a ultrasound to check the fluid levels, which looked good last night. I've been placed on IV fluids (which will hopefully replenish some of the lost amniotic fluid) and antibiotics (to prevent infection and/or sepsis), and I have received 2 steroid shots (to help with the development of the baby's lungs).

Tomorrow I reach the magical 24 week viability point-- which is in reality only a 50% chance of viability. Nonetheless, we're thrilled we're going to make it there and we'll take all the milestones we can reach at this point. We'll meet with the NICU here at Chester County Hospital (which is run through CHOP) and we'll go for another ultrasound to check the baby's fluid levels again.

We're really not sure what the future brings at this point, so we're taking it one day at a time-- well, at least Peter is. I'm trying to plan for every possible outcome of which I can think. (Opposites attract? Sure thing).

I could deliver tomorrow, I could deliver next week, I could deliver in four weeks, I could go to term (unlikely, but possible). Until then, I will most likely remain here in this comfy cozy L&D room. For the baby's sake, we hope that means another 4 or 6 or 10 weeks. For my sake, I hope my sanity can last as long as the baby :)

So that's the update. I've opened up the blog, so it's not private anymore, because it's just a lot easier to reach everyone this way. Please feel free to pass this information on to anyone who would be interested.

18 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks for the update. Hang in there...I'm sending love and prayers and good vibes from Virginia!!!

Katie said...

I hope everything goes well! You will be in our prayers.

Rebekah said...

Lots of prayers coming your way from us. Good luck out there!!

Natalie said...

You're in my prayers! I really admire you're positive attitude and I wish you the best!

Amanda said...

It was great seeing you today! Your strength amazes me. We love you and we're thinking about all 4 of you!

Emily said...

You'll be in my prayers. I am hoping the best for you and your family.

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

Know your in our prayers and that we love you!

Stephie Lynne Purcell said...

Amanda,
So glad I found your blog- I will definitely send prayers your way. And I think they may count double since they are coming from Pittsburgh :) Hang in there!

FeedingTheFam said...

praying for you! your're and amazingly strong woman!

The Calder's said...

We send our thoughts too from NYC. You are amazing not to be SO stressed. I know it will work out the way it is supposed to! Love J, J, and little j

liz hawkins said...

So sorry! You've really been through it all with this pregnancy. We'll be praying for you. Keep us posted!!

Katie M. said...

Amanda!

Oh my goodness. I had no idea until I just got on gmail and saw your status as, "hanging in the hospital". I knew your blog would hopefully have an explanation!

So wait, what hospital are you at? Who has Caleb? Peter? in-laws? What do you need besides lots of prayers? Visitors? Company?

Please let me know what hospital you are at.

It will all work out. You have such a great attitude! And hey, if she decides to come early, you're off the hook for a 10 month pregnancy!:))

You're awesome. Keep us (me) updated. Temple prayer roll, here you come.

Jana said...

Oh Amanda!! This must be such a scary and nerve-wracking time for you. Know you're in our prayers and we hope all will go well over the next few weeks!

Lori said...

martha has kept me abreast to the situation, i'm sorry to hear! i know you've already read my blog, but, feel free to text me or email me anytime. not only did i have two micro-preemies, but i also worked in the NICU for 2.5 years. i understand the rollercoaster you're on, so, just know i'm here. even though i don't know you well.

my email is lori.aston@gmail.com and martha can text you my number. good luck and god speed.

Cliff and Courtney's Family said...

Oh Amanda I am so sorry you have to go through all that! I hope you know you are in our prayers. Try not to be too strong, you are allowed to be emotional, just know your baby will be strong for you and he already knows how special you are. Let me know if you need anything.

Melanie said...

We are praying for you. And like I said I am up the street (10 minutes tops) from Chester County and I would LOVE to bring you ANYTHING you need or want.

Meier Family said...

Wow Amanda I am speechless!!! All I can say is that you are in my prayers and I just wish I could make everything better right now....but we all know that this is one amazing little baby coming from an amazing mother and it is all in His hands....love ya lots and get some much needed rest.:)
-KeL

Ann said...

Ditto to what has already been said.