Monday, February 22, 2010

Updates

Just to prove that there is more going on in our lives than a pregnancy, here's a run down on our current stats:

Peter:
He's just finishing up his OB/GYN rotation in Norfolk, VA. He'll be home on Wednesday and he'll start his Psych rotation at Christiana Hospital in Delaware on Monday. He's "off" for April and May-- studying for boards (which he takes in May) and taking a few ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) classes. Apparently they want you to know how to actually "save" someone when you're a doctor. Picky, picky.

Long term, he's been planning out his "audition" rotations-- where he will rotate at hospitals he is interested in for residency. Currently, he's thinking Pediatrics as his specialty, but don't hold him to it. Since he is in the Navy, we're looking at hospitals in Bethesda, MD (near Washington, DC) Norfolk, VA (Virginia Beach) and San Diego, CA. None of which are bad options. We'll find out this December where he matches.

Me:

I'm working on my classes and hoping to have things wrapped up so that I can apply to student teach in January 2011. That would allow me finish my certification in teaching at the same time Peter graduates, making it a bit less messy. (Teacher certification req's change from state to state, so to start in PA and finish somewhere else is ugly). With the pregnancy complications, we're hoping everything works out timing wise, but ultimately we know that the baby is more important (this sounded better in my head than it does written out...), so we'll roll with whatever happens. I take my Praxis I in a few weeks and my Praxis II in July.

Caleb:
Caleb is trying really hard to figure out what in the world is happening to his family. Mom can't pick him up or do anything with him and Dad now lives in the computer (we talk on Skype). Poor kid. He's rolling with it, but we can all tell that it's taking a toll on him. I'm hoping that when Peter gets back he's able to adjust to things a little better.

Other than that, he's doing really well. He loves the snow, and walks around the house with his "gloves" on (really, two mismatched socks). Grandma is his best friend and his favorite food would definitely be meatballs (I don't even try to explain this...). He's talking up a storm and comes up with some fantastic sayings. He's decided that naps are not his thing, so he spends two hours of quiet time in his room "reading" his books and playing with his animals. So far, it's worked, but I would really love him to take naps again. I refuse to give up hope.


And that's us in a nutshell. See, we do have lives. Ok, that's a lie. But it's all we got.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I think pete would be great at peds. Caleb has broken him in. Wish him good luck for me, and I think I still have my ACLS book if he needs it. not that it is a bad thing to have but if he wants to take a look at mine he is more than welcome. There is also a PALS course which is basically just the pediatric version which is good as well.