Saturday, June 12, 2010

Throwing Away The Key

This article in the NY Times (regarding children, specifically girls, "playing sexy") makes me want to lock Charlotte up and throw away the key until she's at least 21. And Caleb? Ha. He's never, ever going to school if this is how his friends will be playing at recess.

I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted me to get out of it, too. Not that I should be proactive as a parent. Nope definitely not that. Definitely the "lock them in a room and never let them see the light of day" message.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I like the new layout of your blog. Very nice. So yeah, I think every parent wants to lock his kids up when he hears about all the bad stuff they could potentially encounter, or should I say inevitably encounter beyond the walls of our own homes. We've talked about home schooling Isaac when he starts next year. We decided not to after all, though - just our way of trying to be the salt of the earth, live in the world but not of it, so to speak. We just hope we can rear Isaac and all of our kids well enough that they will be an influential force for good among their friends. It's a tall order. Thank goodness we have divine help to fill it for I know that there's no way we could do it alone.

Lori said...

i am scared spitless about raising two little girls. for those exact reasons. even if my kids aren't like that... who is to say their best friends aren't? guh. i'm all about the lock them up til they are 21 rule. :)