Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving

Pete is currently studying downstairs on "my" computer, so this will be a picture-less post, but I'll add some later.

First off, last weekend we went out to Pittsburgh to visit my brother, Aaron, who was in town from Hong Kong. We figured that if he flew around the world to be there we could take a 3o minute flight to see him. We had a great time hanging out with family and were pleasantly surprised when my cousin, Daley, and my Aunt Cecilia came into town as well. They live in Minnesota and we don't get to see them as often as we would like, but they came to visit after a conference in DC. Daley will be attending school in Pittsburgh this fall so they came by to check things out with the school and grace us with their presence. (Shameless plug: My Aunt just published another book [Kay, this is for you] about Oprah's book club. Check it out at Barnes and Noble or by clicking here). We came back to Philadelphia on Tuesday and prepared ourselves for the fabulous holiday weekend.

Thursday morning we got up, fully intending for Caleb to come brave the cold with me for my run. However, he was coughing had a runny nose so I checked his temperature (102!) and decided I would let him sit this one out. So Pete dropped me off in Fairmount Park and headed over to the airport with Caleb to pick up his brother. The run went well, but it was definitely harder to run without the stroller. Call me crazy, but I like running with the stroller. Anyway, I finished the 5 mile race in just over 40 minutes. I'm pretty sure I could have done it in 35 minutes, but at the last mile marker I was passing a girl who was about to give up-- she gave me a good excuse to slow down (not that I was looking for one or anything...) and I gave her some motivation to keep going. We finished that last mile in oh yeah 13 minutes, but she hung in there and was so excited that she ran across the finish line. I was pretty excited to cross the finish line myself :) I felt badly though, as we were leaving I heard a bunch of people talking about how they thought this race was a 5K not a 5M-- oops!

After the race we headed up to Pete's parents' place for some good ol' Thanksgiving Dinner. Julie, Brent and Aubrey-- friends from our ward-- came with us. It was nice to spend time with family and just sit around and be fed :) Pete's mom is a very talented cook and dinner was fabulous! We sat around and talked and looked at baby pictures of Pete and his siblings. (sidenote: Pete was the fattest baby I have ever seen. We're talking fat rolls on his face...) It was a great day and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Friday morning Pete helped his father around the house for a bit and then we headed back home. We didn't brave the madness this year-- Pete is convinced that you can buy anything online and doesn't see the need to stand in lines for hours on end. Top that off with the story of the Walmart employee who was trampled to death by stampeeding shoppers and there was no way Pete was going to go out.

All in all it was a fabulous Thanksgiving! We're so glad that we are able have family so close. Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday and I love that we get to share it with such fabulous people.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Way to run! Poor Caleb.