Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Gun Show

Yeah, I know, my muscles are huge. But if you can, try to take your eyes off of my huge arms and down to the elbow. Sweet scar, huh? Yeah, all the thirteen year old boys think I rock. :)

About a month ago I went in and had an ulnar nerve transposition surgery. For a few years I have had a "claw hand" where I couldn't open my fingers all the way. My pinky finger and my ring finger would stay curled. Since the ulnar nerve runs between two bones in your elbow (its what hurts when you hit your "funny bone") it is prone to getting trapped. Cubital tunnel syndrome is like carpal tunnel syndrome, but it happens to a different nerve in the arm. Basically the surgeon opened up my arm, cut away the scar tissue around the entrapped nerve, and moved the nerve to the fleshy/muscle part on the inside of the elbow.

My arm is healing well. I still have a lump on the side of my elbow, but I figure it's only been three weeks and they did open up my arm and shove a nerve into my muscle, so it might take a while to get back to normal. The scar is about 4-5 inches, and it is still healing up. It freaks me out that I can still feel the lumps where the sutures were. **Shiver**

I still can't straighten my arm out the whole way, but I'll start PT here pretty soon. As in, as soon as I schedule it... (I'm an awesome patient).

So yeah, other than the Frankenstein scar on my arm, everything went well. Yay for modern medicine.

1 comment:

Paul said...

I think you should tell all the 13yr-old boys it's a scar from the bear that TRIED to attack you!