Monday, June 30, 2008

Warning: This Post Includes Updates That May Only Be Interesting to Grandmothers


Caleb turned six months last week and I cannot believe it. I know everyone always says that time really flies and all that, but it's true. It's crazy that in this same amount of time, he'll be a year old. While I love seeing all the new things he can do, it makes me a little sad and sappy to think how fast everything is going. I've been working on not getting frustrated when he won't fall asleep or is getting really fussy. And while it doesn't always work, it helps me to think of how fast it really is passing; an evening of no sleep is something I should try and savor instead of wanting to shove a burp cloth in his mouth :) I know that a year or two from now, I'll wish he would let me hold him as he falls asleep, so I'm trying to enjoy it now. It's hard, and it's definitely a work in progress, but I'm getting better at being more patient and taking in the moments. Enough sappiness.

With the six month milestone, comes a doctor appointment! He had his six month check up right before we went to Pittsburgh. Caleb had four shots and did not like them at all, for which I cannot blame him. He weighed in a 16 pounds, 6 ounces and measured 25.5 inches. He has slowed down a lot in his growth, which the doctor said was fine (and I agree, I think he is heavy enough as it is). When he was born, and throughout subsequent visits, he was always in the 25th percentile for height, but in a much higher percentile for weight (usually 75th-90th). He is now in the 25th percentile for both height and weight, which makes him much more proportionate. His doctor said "He was a bit of a chunker before." Which made me laugh. Our nurse also noted that the growling sound he makes is something she has not encountered before, saying, "That's all his own thing." We're looking into a child psychiatrist :)

His hernia is getting better and better and in my professional mothering opinion, I think it will heal up before his first birthday. Luckily his circumcision does NOT have to be re-done (there were some doubts) but we do have to keep the skin from reattaching. Since this is blog is open to the public, I will not be graphic about it, but I'll leave it at this-- it's not pleasant at all. Although he is not so great with words, I get the idea that he does not particularly like this, however, I think he will thank us later in life.

And that about wraps up the semi-annual Caleb report. Don't worry, there will be more to come, and probably faster than you would expect it.

No comments: