Saturday, April 5, 2008

Day Trips

One of the best parts of living on the East Coast is the easy access to the many cultural attractions in the area. In Philly we are surrounded by many historical locations right here in the city, but we are also only two hours from Washington DC and New York City.

Last week I went to Ellis Island and Liberty Island with my grandparents (Bala and Papa) and my cousins. Even though I have lived in the East my entire life, I have never been there myself, so it was a great trip! I learned a lot about the history of our country and the way it was established. Caleb had a great day-- he was held the entire time :)

I cannot imagine being an immigrant, coming all the way across the Atlantic in such deplorable conditions, just to get to Ellis Island and go through the long lines and health examinations. I am proud to be an American, and I love this country very much-- I couldn't help but feel for those poor immigrants who were turned away at the country's gate. Families were separated, loved ones died, friends were lost-- all in the hope for a better life.

I hope that in our day we can find room for those who are still seeking a better life in this country. I hope that we can learn from our past, that we can accept that a hundred years from now there will be Americans whose ancestors are those coming to our country now, seeking a better life for their posterity, just as our ancestors came through Ellis Island, seeking a better life for us. I hope that we can support people who make that very terrifying choice to leave all they know, and many people they love, just to come here in search of something for their family. I am so glad that my ancestors were brave enough to make such a treacherous journey; so glad that they were accepted in this country and able to make a better life. I hope that I can, in some small way, help those who are seeking this "American Dream" be they American, Mexican, Asian, European or African.

Sorry to get so hyped about this-- I was just so impressed by what I saw there in NYC--
I hope we live up to the words inscribed on the Statue of Liberty.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!"” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
- Emma Lazarus


Here are some of our pictures from the day!

Can you imagine getting off the boat after all that time and seeing that you were finally here?

View of the City from Ellis Island

Uncle Willy, Audrey Margaret, Kate, Bala, Papa and Hanna and I at the Statue of Liberty

David, Uncle Willy, Bala, Charley, Hanna, Aunt Audrey, Kate, Maggie and Caleb, and Papa


I love this picture! Charley and Bala on Liberty Island


The Statue- it was a beautiful day!

No comments: